....as a result of Sepsis.
Eoghan Reid was discharged from hospital and just 8 hours later he was returned to hospital, and went into septic shock.
This is another sad case showing the devastating consequences of Sepsis. The coroner has ruled that there was a missed opportunity to diagnose a bacterial infection but that this was only apparent with hindsight.
As a result of this sad case, the Royal Hampshire County Hospital has now altered their practices, introducing a new sepsis screening tool and revising the paediatric early warning system charts.
We only hope that NHS Trust's continue to recognise the importance of an adequate sepsis screening tool!
“The evidence shows that there was a missed opportunity to identify that Eoghan may have been a high risk of susceptibility to infection, but his presentation at that time and the history given was entirely consistent with a diagnosis of an upper respiratory tract infection.